The Roaring 20’s. A period marked by unprecedented affluence, countless soirees, flapper dresses, jazz melodies, and …
Cities, states, countries, and now islands are entering shutdowns as the Coronavirus (“COVID-19”) sweeps its way across the globe. While life as many have known it has entered disruption, the livelihood of local small businesses, startups and entrepreneurs are also at the forefront of the community’s mind — as these businesses contribute essentially to the workforce and economic composition of the city.
The keyword “pivot” is circulating heavily across media platforms, as many leaders attempt to generate new sources of revenue and monetize in ways they had yet to imagine.
In honor of National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day which was March 29th, and in an effort to assist our beloved Dallas small business owners, please consider shopping small for the selected items and services we have included below.
Purchasing from these businesses will not only generate hope, but will also circulate the dollar within this now fragile community. If everyone would bind together during this time, small gestures such as these will ensure that as many of our small businesses will not only survive, but also thrive after exiting the COVID-19 pandemic crisis. Thank you in advance for your support and most importantly, for shopping small. – The Inspire N Style Team
BUT FIRST, FOOD (And wine)
- Asian Mint: Order your own Chef Mint Asian “Meal Kit”: from Vegetable Dumplings, Pad Thai, Tom Yum soup and Jasmine Rice for $58. There is no delivery fee for ordering this kit.
- Big Al’s Smokehouse BBQ: stock up on made-to-order BBQ meals or smoked meats to freeze and eat later. We definitely recommend the smoked turkey — the absolute best in town! Order here for curbside delivery, traditional delivery or takeout. Big Al’s is also offering eGift Cards for a 10% discount here.
- Bilquis Wine: An Inspire N Style favorite! Order online and add to your wine collection by enjoying this delicious Ethiopian honey tej with your meal.
- Chef Cassy Jones: Famous for her fried collard greens and PB&J chicken wings (yes you read that right!); Chef Cassy is taking orders for these cult favorites via phone at 214-405-8846. ($24 for a dozen fried collard greens) Visit her site here for the full catering menu.
- Chef’s Produce: Fresh produce boxes and baked bread for pick-up. Includes eggs, jasmine rice, mounds of produce and more! $10 from every box sold goes to the Everybody Eats Fund. Email email@example.com for availability. Also follow on social media for daily pick-up locations.
- Kessler Baking Studio: Delicious, “Always from Scratch”, cookies, blondies, bars, nuts & confections. Pre-Order online for pickup or delivery. Gift cards are also available.
- Oddfellows: Order online or Pick up breakfast, lunch or dinner from this Bishop Arts staple through their takeout window OR shop their new fresh market for produce and more: 9AM to 8PM Monday through Saturday, and 9AM to 4PM on Sunday!
- Roots Chicken Shak: Another Inspire N Style favorite and TRIED, TESTED and TRUE! Curated by Master Chef Tiffany Derry, Roots Chicken Shak is now offering DIY meal kits for its famous duck-fat friend chicken! From regular grocery kits to its chicken sandwich kit, this will be the best $40+ you’ve spent so far! (Feeds up to 6 people) Call to order 972-846-4255; it’s available for pick-up. Roots also has delivery of its regular menu through GrubHub.
- Savor Patisserie: Satisfy your sweet tooth with tasty macarons from this French foodie fave. If not to eat – then definitely for some delectably irresistible #insta posts. Let’s face it. You have all the time now to snap and savor on social media while you #WFH (work from home). Order for home delivery in DFW or nationwide shipping!
- Scout & Cellar Clean Crafted Wine: Shop for your wine local with our recommended rep, Michelle Ward. Scout & Cellar partners with growers and family-owned farms to create delicious, clean wine.
- Signature Baking Company: Delicious bread of all varieties baked fresh, daily. Order online and delivered straight to your home.
- Smokey John’s BBQ: An Inspire N Style BBQ hotspot, order here for curbside pick-up, delivery (within a certain range) and take-out. Try our favorites: fried catfish or the new brisket queso — your tastebuds will thank you!
- The Island Spot: If your tastebuds are itching for Caribbean flair, we definitely recommend the best in Jamaican cuisine from The Island Spot. Call in your order for pickup at either the Carrollton location 972-447-7000 or the Oak Cliff location 972-913-4919. Our favorites are the jerk chicken (of course) and the ox tails. Yeah Mon!
WORK FROM HOME (#WFH)…But Make It Fashion!
Consider purchasing gift cards or order online (if available) from these mom and pop shops.
- Always CoCo: An accessories label birthed by Dallas fashion blogger Courtney Newell, this jewelry truly depicts that less is definitely more. Its mission is to use its designs to “elevate your style”, to promote simplicity and preserve mental health. Each piece should make one’s outfit look easy, effortless and stress free. A portion of each purchase will be shared with the National Alliance of Mental Illness to promote simplicity and bring awareness to mental health. Shop here.
- Delgado NYC: Secure the bag with these multi-functional accessories that do double-duty as a clutch or fanny-pack. The perfect on-the-go bag for those “essential” runs you’ll need to take while emerging ever so often from home. Shop online and enjoy 15% off your first order, plus free shipping.
- Don Morphy: Fellas of style take note! Grab a gift certificate to one of the “hautest” award-winning men’s custom clothiers to hit The Big D. A noted fave of athletes and celebrities alike, supporting this locally-owned gem will have you strutting back into the office in style.
- Double Scoop Boutique: Shop this site for super adorable and oh-so-trendy baby, toddler, girls and boys clothing! Definitely a double scoop of style for your newest little #WFH co-workers.
- Eans Team: This Desoto-based, black-owned t-shirt business empowers Black Love and Unity across the world. Grab your “I LUV YOU (BLK) Tee” and show your love one insta-worthy post at a time. Order your shirt in support here.
- Elizabeth W: Looking for a high-end contemporary lifestyle boutique? We recommend you shop at Elizabeth W located in the Highland Park area of Dallas. With a highly-curated assortment of women’s apparel & accessories from well-established and emerging designers — this is one retailer you’ll be itching to splurge at once you emerge from Quarantine’s Abyss. But why wait? Shop now. Plus free shipping with any order over $150!
- Emma Kelly & Me: Dallas’ own radio queen Kellie Rasberry launched a mommy-daughter online clothing site late last year and everything is comfy, confidence-boosting, and affordable. To “Betta Butt” jeans, animal print crossbodies and t-shirt dresses — EK&Me has everything you need to be casual and cool for your virtual meeting wardrobe.
- Hope On A String: An Inspire N Style favorite, Hope On A String is everything you need to navigate you positively through #COVID19 right now. Engrave your words of intention, motivation or inspiration onto a bracelet, necklace or keychain and wear it everyday. It’s the perfect reminder of hope in an uncertain season of time.
- House of Dasha: Our Editor’s favorite, this Desoto-based boutique is not only fashion-forward, but pocket-friendly. With sizes up to 3X, this celebrity style obsession is one you’ll want to sport beyond #WFH attire and the couch.
- Indigo 1745: Another Editor favorite and a noted Top 10 Destination by USA Today, this iconic Bishop Art destination is favored in fashion and one-of-a-kind gifts. Follow their #insta account for wardrobe #inspo and to see which items will be available for shipments.
- Martini Consignment: Sometimes you want that old thing back — so why not venture to vintage with the fashion veterans of Vintage Martini? From Chanel to Dior to Moschino and beyond, your guilty pleasures are now all online — and what was old maybe become new…in your closet, of course. It’s #QuarantineAndChill – but do it fabulously darling.
- Nikki Smith Designs: Locally crafted jewelry that is multi-dimensional — focusing on quality, fun and versatility. Layer it up or style it down, these designs are what all the fashionista’s crave and pair effortlessly with your existing jewelry. Did we mention the owner is a mama? We love our local MomPreneurs!
THE BEAUTY BEAT
- Brite Beauty: This recent 2020 FGI Rising Star Awardee is the best in the biz for on-demand hair and makeup services. Treat yourself with a gift card for the perfect beauty beat. It’ll feel good to have someone else pamper you for a change once you survive the lockdown.
- Dear Clark: Want the luxury hair salon experience from home? Best of Big D Salon, Dear Clark, is offering local delivery for its hair care products ranging from volumizing tonic to texturizing paste. And lest we forget the woof wash pet shampoo for your ultimate #WFH partner. Order online and the Dear Clark team will pack your order and arrange a pick up or delivery time. (Free delivery is available for clients who live within a 10 mile radius of the salon.)
- Pressed Roots Silk Blowout Bar: Just fresh off of its new salon opening, this first-to-market silk press blowout bar for women of color and/or women with textured hair is gaining national attention. Stylists are professionally trained via the Pressed Roots method — guaranteeing customers an exceptional blowout in 2 hours or less and for an unbeatable price. Snag a gift card now – get pressed later. Your hair will thank us.
- Yangu Beauty: Our Editor’s favorite, this local African skincare label is not only vegan, but specifically crafted for women of color. Choose from the award-winning eye cream, gel-to-milk cleanser or serum. Say buh-bye to those bags and fine lines on your virtual calls — Yangu will have you feeling and looking younger with its signature glow in next to no time. For a limited time, enjoy free shipping on all U.S. orders!
CALL ON THE CREATIVES: ART PHOTOGRAPHY, DIY, HOME AND MORE!
- ColorSnack Creative Studio: A friend of Inspire N Style, this lovely artistic guru is the perfect go-to for arts and crafts ideas for the kiddos or maybe for your own creative release. With an array of YouTube videos, additional ColorSnack services and products include: branded Gif channel for businesses, original watercolor art, food illustration & animation, online art sessions (as well as art prints, stickers, postcards, activity books). Need we say more? Book online today.
- Gardenuity: Nature makes everything better — and Gardenuity is delivering you the perfect piece of Mother Nature right to your home. From salad gardens to cocktail gardens to herb gardens and more — this is the perfect time to finesse your “green thumb. Trust us when we say, your home, your conscience and your planet will thank you. Free shipping on orders over $70.
- The Iman Project: A very dear friend of Inspire N Style, The Iman Project is an inspirational woman-owned business founded by Dallas DIY queen Bree “Iman” Clarke. The unique biz bolsters women’s empowerment and unity through creative workshops, pop-up markets, community events and more. Gift cards are available for future business and creative workshops, events and more.
- John and Jackie Gifts: JOHN & JACKIE is a modern one-stop shop for uniquely creative and customized gifting. They source high-quality products from brands and artisans from all around the world to curate elegantly cool gift boxes that are sophisticated, unique, and ethically sourced. Currently, we’re crushing on this brand because you can gift FOR FREE up to 5 items from JOHN & JACKIE gifts to your neighbor, friend, hospitality worker, etc. (Shipping Not Included). Spread the gift of love today.
- Kauwuane Burton Photography: Truly one of the best and another Inspire N Style pick, Kauwuane is humbly one of Dallas’ most creative gems. Working with celebrities to high fashion models to community leaders to the everyday professional, anyone who’s photographed by Kauwuane will always feel like the star that they truly are.
- Me Ra Koh Photography: Whether it’s mastering smartphone photography or a branding photoshoot, no stone is left unturned with veteran photographer Me Ra Koh. Me Ra has inspired families for decades with work featured with Oprah’s team, appearances on Live with Kelly & Ryan, Disney and Adventure Family. She’s also one of SONY’s first two sponsored women photographers since 2011. Need we say more? Gift certificates are now available for use through the end of 2020.
- Supernatural: The brainchild of Forbes phenomenon and Poo-Pourri Founder, Suzy Batiz — Supernatural is everything you need to transform your home into a sacred space. As you spend more time than the norm at home, the use of these aromatherapeutic, au naturel cleaning concentrates will have you (and your conscience) sparkling with shine. And did we mention Suzy crafted 4 essential oil blends for you to diffuse at home as well? Get more #WFH done with oils in: Reflecting, Expanding, Renewing or Nourishing. Delivery is available and first time users enjoy 30% off with promo code WELCOME 30.
- Vanessa Corral Photography: We invite you to see the best version of yourself with photographer Vanessa Corral. Truly passionate about her craft, the acclaimed professional takes pride in removing the anxiety associated with shoots. Be sure to support this biz, follow her on social media and contact Vanessa for future bookings.
AT YOUR SERVICE: Beef Up Your Biz with These Top Virtual Professionals or Services
- Ashley Cash Consulting: interview & 6-figure salary negotiation coach to women who are overworked and underpaid. A friend of Inspire N Style, Ashley is the real deal. Read more about Ashley here and book a one-on-one power hour for COVID assistance.
- Career Design Associates: Career Design provides expert career consulting with the information, strategies, and resources for adults to change careers – or to enhance a current work/life situation. For more than four decades, Career Design has helped people in career transition find the purpose they can pursue with a passion – and for a profit. Programming is now all virtual! For more info email Heather Armstrong at: Heather@career-design.com.
- Gangway Advertising: An Editor’s pick, Gangway is a full-service marketing agency based in Dallas. Its specialty is working with lifestyle brands to create marketing strategies and solutions that allow businesses to compete at any level in the marketplace. Services include: Public Relations, Social Media Marketing, Influencer Partnerships, Graphic Design, Brand Development, Online Reputation Management, Digital Media, Media Buying, Event Management, Community Outreach and Web Design.
- L. Michelle Smith & No Silos Communications, LLC: L. Michelle Smith is an author, speaker and certified executive business coach who develops rockstar leaders and brands that thrive and succeed at the intersection of culture, technology and business. She is the founder of no silos communications, the parent company of six media, content, coaching, consulting and strategic communications brands that are fueled by today’s tech. L. Michelle Smith’s complimentary coaching sessions are being offered again — this time to the wave of professionals who are going through layoffs, furloughs and surplus. SESSIONS are AVAILABLE M/W/F! No matter where you are, this is FREE, certified life, business, career and executive coaching by phone next week for the community coping with COVID-19 related concerns. Book your complimentary session here.
- Major’s VA Solutions: Senathia Johnson of Major’s VA Solutions is your business’ accountability partner. Services include email marketing, administrative, accountability or automation to name a few. Senathia helps businesses streamline their processes, eliminate their project load, save time and create more revenue.
- The MToTo Nanny Agency: an elite nanny and home staff placement that connects professional nannies with private clients. It is their goal to provide the extra set of hands your family needs. Contact via the website for more info.
- Rashida Thomas, Certified Financial Educator: A certified financial educator that helps single professionals overcome financial anxiety so they get on a path to eliminating their debt. Contact Rashida to book a one-on-one session if you’re needing budgeting or debt elimination advice.
- Ron Yudovich of Keystone Financial Services: Keystone Financial Services, Inc. (‘KFSI’) delivers business advisories that improve financial management and creates growth. It provides consulting and part-time CFO services to startups and middle market companies. KFSI works with your accounting team to create finance infrastructure, and manage your finances professionally, and cost-efficiently. KFSI specialize in growth creation, financing, turnaround situations, and strategic business advisory.
- Think Three Media: The brainchild of our Founder, Think Three Media is an ADDY & 2x Emmy Award-Winning boutique social media, content marketing, public relations and communications agency providing creative and innovative solutions for cutting edge brands. Book your free 10-minute consultation here.
- Valet Maids: This Dallas maid service is “your secret weapon to check cleaning off of your to-do list.” All Valet cleaners are carefully vetted so that the right person is chosen for your home. Book online or via the app. Text VALET to 31996 for $25 OFF your first cleaning.
- Zirtue: Zirtue is a relationship-based lending application (app) that simplifies loans between friends, family and trusted relationships with automatic ACH loan payments. Simply put, Zirtue — as a bank level security lending platform — allows you to securely lend and borrow money with friends and family. Zirtue will offer one month free for all new borrowers starting April 1, 2020. Available for download from the Apple App Store or Google Play.