4 Tips For Getting Braces as an Adult

July 16, 2021
braces

Have you been living life afraid to smile because you feel self-confident about your misaligned front teeth? You don’t have to continue living this way, a smile you can be proud of is easier than you think. Of all the orthodontic patients, one in four of them are adults.

It is becoming more popular to see adults getting braces. They do this for the health of their mouth as well as for aesthetics and beauty. When you get braces, the goal is to form a bite that is even and attractive. If getting braces as an adult makes you anxious, this article will help make up your mind and lessen anxiety.

Ensure to Explore All Options

As an adult orthodontic patient you are not alone. According to the American Association of Orthodontists, there are some four million Americans wearing braces today. There are several reasons for needing braces as an adult, there are several options. You need to ensure you explore all of these options. Two options are removable aligners or the more conventional braces that are attached to the teeth. As an adult, you probably want to choose the option that is easily camouflaged.

Some of your options include:

  • Removable aligners-also known as clear aligners. These braces are easily removed if needed.
  • Ceramic or clear braces. Similar to classic braces only the brackets are camouflaged by being the color of your teeth.
  • Braces that adhere to the back of teeth are called lingual braces.

What to Anticipate When Wearing Braces

When the braces are first put on you can anticipate a bit of discomfort. Ensure to have some comfort supplies ready when to use when you come home from the orthodontist. You will need some over-the-counter pain medication like acetaminophen, a warm cloth, and a heating pad. You will also need some wax for guarding the sensitive lips and cheek skin from the braces, your orthodontist will provide this.

It is also important to have an exemplary routine of oral hygiene. You need to ensure when you brush your teeth you are brushing each tooth beneath each bracket and along the gum line. This is done in an effort to decrease plaque from building up between the braces and teeth.

Don’t forget the importance of flossing your teeth once you have braces on. It is extremely imperative to remember to floss under the wires and between teeth to prevent bacteria and plaque formation. You can find a floss threader at most drug stores. This makes it easier to floss under the wires. Also, a water irrigator is an excellent tool for reaching those hard-to-floss areas.

Consider an “Invisible” Option

Many adults opt for the Invisalign braces, particularly if they spend hours working with the public. There are more than 1,000,000 orthodontic patients in the world today who prefer Invisalign as their treatment plan. Each day, this number continues to be on the rise. Choosing an invisible option for braces will eliminate any issues or uneasy feelings about having braces as an adult.

Discuss Your Goals With Your Orthodontists

Ensure to discuss what your goals are for wanting straighter teeth. Is it to fix an issue with chewing your food? Or is it for purely cosmetic and aesthetic purposes? Since only 35% of the adult population have their front teeth well-aligned, that leaves another 65% who don’t. Therefore, if you are part of the latter group, you are not alone.

The Results Will by Well Worth It

You might be worried that your treatment is taking longer than what you remember your school friends going through. As an adult, you can anticipate at least a two-year process for treatment.

How long your treatment takes will depend on the original shape of your mouth and teeth. Keep in mind, no matter how long it takes, the end result will be a smile you are proud of!



Post a new comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.